[kj] (OT) Jane's Addiction Playing Secret Club Show in LA

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Thu Oct 23 12:30:43 EDT 2008

"Jim Harper" wrote:

I'm not much of a big rock fan these days and haven't listened to Page
(didn't really like Van Halen) in a long time. My personal rock pantheon
would be, with preferences from their careers:

Geordie (KJ)
Daniel Ash (Bauhaus and Love & Rockets stuff)
John McGeoch (PiL and Magazine stuff)
Tom Verlaine (Televison and his early-to-mid-80s solo work)

There are other guitarists I enjoy listening to- the Cocteaus guys, Andy
Gill, guys from Wire, Dave Navarro (yes!)- but those four are my all-time
favourites.

+++++

Danny Ash has become one of my favorite guitarists in the past decade after
rediscovering his Bauhaus and Love and Rockets stuff and of course, seeing
both bands during their respective reunions. Really love his tone. The
past few years, I've really began enjoying a lot of more "garage" style
guitarists like Poison Ivy from The Cramps and bands like The Jesus and Mary
Chain, The Lords of Altamont and Demolition Dollrods.

I used to be a huge Eddie Van Halen fan up through the 80's, but he's hit
and miss anymore. He was truly awful on a lot of shows during the Hagar
reunion in '04 and while he improved (and sobered up) a lot for the more
recent Roth reunion last year, he's still lost a lot of his physical
abilities that help make him a trailblazer back in the early 80's.

Despite his technical limitations as a player, I really like The Edge from
U2. Love some of the effects-drenched sounds he can get in the studio and
the fact he isn't stuck on playing any one kind of guitar.

T.B.