[kj] OT: Competition?

Bette Dillinger bettedillinger at live.com
Wed Oct 22 20:25:10 EDT 2008

Hey, Oliver, I don't think anyone can totally understand Nietzche, and those that assured me of their prowess had me grinning. No doubt contradictions did not abound with that man. I meant that we have the added benefit of having narratives from his contemporaries, historical data regarding his life experiences, and medical data as well. Therefore, one piece in the 500 piece puzzle (I am being very conservative here) can be examined. Understanding, not so much.

Bette> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:13:00 -0500> From: bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] OT: Competition?> > Bette Dillinger wrote:> > "Nietzche is a completely different case. We have historical data on > him. Rollo May's psychological portrait of him, and of his relationship > with Lou Salome is very insightful. His tribe has been quite > interesting to speak with...... "> > > > Yeah, Nietzsche is a different case than Sun Tzu, absolutely. Nietzsche > quoted what he claimed was a military aphorism ("from the military > school"), and the debate/discussion was about that.> > Just because we know a lot more about Nietzsche doesn't mean "we" > understand him. There is, for example, the pretty-good book "What > Nietzsche Really Meant." This is because Nietzsche is inconsistent over > the course of his writings, went through his various phases, was fond of > a cryptic turn of phrase or pun (many of which don't translate from > German to English very well, etc.) , and left many things ambiguous on > purpose, or hinted at stuff, and more. O the other hand, it is hard to > imagine a similar book about an empiricist philosopher like Bertrand > Russell called "What Bertrand Russell Really meant," because Russell > said what he meant, explicitly, and without the cryptic allusions, > poetic style and/or imagery used by Nietzsche, etc. -- the stuff that > makes Nietzsche a joy to read literarily, but a pain when trying to > extract from all his various aphorisms, maxims, quotes from Zarathustra, > and all that, some sort of consistent philosophical weltanschauung. In > fact, Nietzsche seemed to dislike consistency itself.> > -Oliver> > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering