[kj] OT: Competition?

Bette Dillinger bettedillinger at live.com
Wed Oct 22 18:57:50 EDT 2008

"Many people, or example, quote Sun Tzu for life philosophy-type mantras that have nothing to do with their being a general on a battlefield."

The Art of War is a Taoist text, and there is no one Sun Tzu, as there is no one Lao Tzu; by the very title of the book the work it is preparing the reader to realize this transcends any specificity, as does Taoism itself. Remember, 32 spokes without a center? Thus the famous directives about fighting 100 wars is so famous due to its broad ability to address certain problems that all flesh is err to.
Nietzche is a completely different case. We have historical data on him. Rollo May's psychological portrait of him, and of his relationship with Lou Salome is very insightful. His tribe has been quite interesting to speak with......

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 06:52:47 -0400From: killingjoke at theimmortalfool.comTo: gathering at misera.netSubject: Re: [kj] OT: Competition?Then he must've been a "Joker/Gatherer" at heart. There just wasn't a proper terminology for that at his time. :)At 06:04 AM 10/22/2008, B. Oliver Sheppard wrote:
But jut 'cuz he says it's a saying from the militay school doesn't mean he also doesn't think it shouldn't be applied generally. Many people, or example, quote Sun Tzu for life philosophy-type mantras that have nothing to do with their being a general on a battlefield. Also, Carl Von Clausewitz wrote, "from the military school," the famous saying, "War is politics conducted by other means." (from his _Principals of War_)But it's debates like this, about what he REALLY meant, that make Nietzsche who he is -- someone people still try to uncover what he REALLY meant by such and such. Unlike philosophers like Bertrand Russell, who wrote in such transparent, unambiguous language that they just stated, explicirtly, what they really meant.Argue me, dammit, argue me!!! :) Neitzsche would love people doing that over his stuff-OliverBrendan wrote:
Nietzsche's quote, from memory, is prefixed with: "From the military school:"So it's not meant to be a truism about life. And yeah, I agree, he'shugely contradictory at times, annoyingly so for someone who wrote so wellat his best.