[kj] Peel Sessions & Magazine

Harold Grey hgrey at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 18 23:56:19 EDT 2008

Thanks for the pointer to the Magazine interview. I really LOVED that
band, and McGeoch's playing on everything from Stuck to Motorcade to
Philadelphia to Permafrost was extraordinary. He had quite a unique
style. When I was in my teens, WNYU's New Afternoon Show would use
"Stuck" as the theme and background music to their club calendar. It
really got burned into my brain then. Does anyone know what
Generation X songs McGeoch played on or did overdubs for with Kiss Me
Deadly? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

I watched some of the video with Robin Simon playing with Magazine on
the 1980 or 81 tour and he was quite capable. I would really be
interested in someone playing McGeoch's riffs as opposed to puttting
their own touch on the songs. You could tell on some of the video
clips that some riffs were quite unorthodox and a real challenge.

Just got the Killing Joke Peel Sessions CD. Outstanding and the sound
quality is quite good. I had many of those songs on an old vinyl
bootleg I had gotten in Manhattan in '82 or '83 at Second Coming
Records (is that still there?), but the sound was pretty poor. I
think it was called "The Joke's On You." The more I listen to early
Joke the more I appreciate that they really were taking post-punk
into a very unique direction. They were not simply rehashing what
countless other bands were doing post-Sex Pistols. I used to have a
pretty steady record buying route in those days: J&R, Bondy's, St.
Mark's Sounds, Freebeing Records (I think that was the name; it was
on Second Ave and St. Marks place a few doors down from the newsstand
on the corner--tiny shop but with great imports) Second Coming,
Bleecker Bob's (when it was on Macdougal) another place on Bleecker
and Macdougal.

Also saw the t-shirt for the KJ/Joy Division double bill show. I also
really enjoy Section 25 and A Certain Ratio. What it must have been
like. Sorry there is no boot of that show...

Harold
San Jose, CA