[kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

jerry bodkin jelbod at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 09:16:30 EDT 2008

"but my judgement was impaired somewhat thanks to certain Gatherers generosity!"

Are you going to expand on that sir? Did someone shove a carrot in your ear? Buy you some earmuffs? Put a brown paper bag over your head? Please please do tell.

Jelsea

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:28:05 +0100From: MichaelHead at HBOSplc.comTo: gathering at misera.netSubject: Re: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

I was lucky enough to be at the Friday 3rd London soundcheck and must say Geordie's guitar was overwhelming the rest of the mix. Big Paul's efforts could hardly be heard and the whole experience was somewhat disappointing. Seems quite contrary to people's experience on the night. I would comment on the sound at the gig, but my judgement was impaired somewhat thanks to certain Gatherers generosity!

Anyone here have knowledge of what general effect filling a hall with punters has on a band's sound? Can the effect be generalised? Do sound engineers bias the pre-gig sound knowing this effect?

Mick

From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On Behalf Of Matthew TibbitsSent: 15 October 2008 12:29To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)Subject: Re: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound
I've just received the Live At The Forum CDs and Geordie sounds better on them than at the actual gig. Not a bad sound at all, actually. Still lacks the ringing, chiming quality of the Burman years but certainly better than you describe below. It's just a shame that it didn't actually sound as good on the night, for everyone at least. There's still an element of muffledness with the guitar compared to Jaz's vocals, as if he's playing in an adjacent room rather than on the same stage, a good example being the basic riff on Eighties ( much sharper and clearer on the Tube '83 footage, for instance) but overall I am pleasantly surprised.

From: fluwdot at earthlink.netTo: gathering at misera.netDate: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:24:58 -0400Subject: Re: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

Thanks for those links matthew, I needed an antidote.

It is so sad: geordie’s instrument used to drive the joke’s atmosphere, and emote the most complex harmonic maelstrom. now it is merely a pretty pom pom shish-shing underneath the sub harmonic din of mis-aligned woofer waves.

His guitar is either feeding back - if he doesn’t turn the volume pot down during breaks in the music - or it is a buzzy little bee dying in jar a thousand miles away.

Last night’s performance was as if Geordie were a golden harp bedecked mime. At times I forgot he was even on stage, and had to remind myself to listen for him, incase a note or something recognizable as a familiar sound presented itself from his side of the stage.

From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On Behalf Of Matthew TibbitsSent: Monday, October 13, 2008 5:45 AMTo: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)Subject: Re: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

Apologies for posting so many well-worn and untitled links. I was a bit the worse for wear last night and got all misty eyed and nostalgic. Hadn't seen the last one before, though - a cracking live version of Night Time.

From: matt_tibbits at hotmail.comTo: gathering at misera.netDate: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:43 +0000Subject: Re: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie soundAgreed. Beautiful to behold. We've all seen them but since you brought it up...here's more from that glorious period when you could hear every note. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wru4x1XnlS0 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u_zubL6bZyM http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mtHFYlqgA&feature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nUB2nFF5A&feature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nzY_OG4Z5kU&feature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNJ96STO28&feature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QibuxgCPufs&feature=related Oh, to hear that piercing, bell-like, nape hair-raising clarity again!

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:47:14 +0200From: 65snoopy at gmail.comTo: gathering at misera.netSubject: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

'Sun Goes Down', Munich, 1985.Now that's the one-man orchestrahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hx2q2k7z8g

Try Facebook in Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now!

Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone Try it Now!

Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone Try it Now

HBOS plc, Registered in Scotland No. SC218813. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. HBOS plc is a holding company, subsidiaries of which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

HBOS is a carbon neutral company. Help keep it that way. Please don't print this message unless you really must.