[kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

Matthew Tibbits matt_tibbits at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 07:28:53 EDT 2008

I've just received the Live At The Forum CDs and Geordie sounds better on them than at the actual gig. Not a bad sound at all, actually. Still lacks the ringing, chiming quality of the Burman years but certainly better than you describe below. It's just a shame that it didn't actually sound as good on the night, for everyone at least. There's still an element of muffledness with the guitar compared to Jaz's vocals, as if he's playing in an adjacent room rather than on the same stage, a good example being the basic riff on Eighties ( much sharper and clearer on the Tube '83 footage, for instance) but overall I am pleasantly surprised.

From: fluwdot at earthlink.netTo: gathering at misera.netDate: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:24:58 -0400Subject: Re: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

Thanks for those links matthew, I needed an antidote.

It is so sad: geordie’s instrument used to drive the joke’s atmosphere, and emote the most complex harmonic maelstrom. now it is merely a pretty pom pom shish-shing underneath the sub harmonic din of mis-aligned woofer waves.

His guitar is either feeding back - if he doesn’t turn the volume pot down during breaks in the music - or it is a buzzy little bee dying in jar a thousand miles away.

Last night’s performance was as if Geordie were a golden harp bedecked mime. At times I forgot he was even on stage, and had to remind myself to listen for him, incase a note or something recognizable as a familiar sound presented itself from his side of the stage.

From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On Behalf Of Matthew TibbitsSent: Monday, October 13, 2008 5:45 AMTo: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)Subject: Re: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

Apologies for posting so many well-worn and untitled links. I was a bit the worse for wear last night and got all misty eyed and nostalgic. Hadn't seen the last one before, though - a cracking live version of Night Time.

From: matt_tibbits at hotmail.comTo: gathering at misera.netDate: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:43 +0000Subject: Re: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie soundAgreed. Beautiful to behold. We've all seen them but since you brought it up...here's more from that glorious period when you could hear every note. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wru4x1XnlS0 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u_zubL6bZyM http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mtHFYlqgA&feature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nUB2nFF5A&feature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nzY_OG4Z5kU&feature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNJ96STO28&feature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QibuxgCPufs&feature=related Oh, to hear that piercing, bell-like, nape hair-raising clarity again!

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:47:14 +0200From: 65snoopy at gmail.comTo: gathering at misera.netSubject: [kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

'Sun Goes Down', Munich, 1985.Now that's the one-man orchestrahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hx2q2k7z8g

Try Facebook in Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now!

Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone Try it Now!