[kj] Fwd: Hello (LA info for visitors)

Squibah at aol.com Squibah at aol.com
Wed Oct 8 12:44:01 EDT 2008

____________________________________
From: saulomar1 at yahoo.com
To: Squibah at aol.com
Sent: 10/8/2008 3:26:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: Re: Hello

>From Sunset/LaBrea: (yahoo map _from LaBrea to HOBlues_

(http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=34.09442&lon=-118.371628&zoom=18&q1=34.098161,-118.339056&q2=34.0
94776,-118.373645) )

There's a $3/hr. cybercafe on s/e corner of Sunset/LaBrea. Pollo Loco
chicken restaurant on N/w corner. $6/combo or chicken by the piece starting at
$1.50, or go to Ralphs market's deli (see below).

On Sunset a few blocks east of you, In-n'-Out Burger and IHOP a few blocks
east, before Highland ave.

1/2-mile south on LaBrea past Fountain Ave. is a Ralphs market (has a deli)
1/2-blk. with a Thai restaurant next on corner, further a Best Buy and Target
for your electronic/other needs.
Another mile or so south is Melrose Ave. (you'll see PINK'S hot dogs there).
Head west and onto the Melrose Strip 1.5 miles of shops until Fairfax Ave.

west of you on Sunset is another Ralphs market on Poinsettia, and a few
blks. east is the El Compadre restaurant/bar. Guitar Center is right across the
street.

Just west of there (the El Compadre) starting at Crescent Heights st., the
Sunset Strip starts and goes west til you hit the Roxy, Rainbow Room,
Troubadour, the Whiskey a Go Go, the Viper Room, the Hustler Store and the Key Club
on teh last 2 blocks on the west end of the Strip (from San Vicente to Doheny
Dr.).

East on Sunset - a few minutes east: Amoeba Records; the Cinerama Dome and
Arclight theaters (ab.$12 for daytime movies b4 4pm i think), all at Cahuenga
to Vine (1 block) .
The Arclight pkng.structure - validated parking for Amoeba and the theaters.

Cheap'ish eats at the Baja Fresh across street. Bar around the corner next
to hte bookstore.

5 min. north is Hollywood Bl. and 5 more minutes east is the Chinese Theater
and some monstrosity that looks like Babylon the Great - by Kodak.
Ask the info-booth if there's any free shows that day. I saw Ladytron play
there so maybe....Killing Joke?
There's also a Subway station under the Babylon Kodak building there.

DASH buses are pretty handy and comfy rides, small w/AC buses for 25cents
ea.trip. They're small, local, daytime routes.
DASH routes near Sunset / La Brea
Hollywood _http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/hollywood/hollywood.html_
(http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/hollywood/hollywood.html)
Hollywood/West Hollywood
_http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/holly_westholly/hollywood_westholly.html_
(http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/holly_westholly/hollywood_westholly.html)
Hollywood / Wilshire
_http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/hollywood_wilshire/hollywood_wilshire.html_
(http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/hollywood_wilshire/hollywood_wilshire.html)
Fairfax _http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/fairfax/fairfax.html_
(http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/routes/fairfax/fairfax.html)

Taxi - ($10 minimum, i think) $11 = 3 miles,
_http://www.ayellowtaxi.com/rates.html_ (http://www.ayellowtaxi.com/rates.html)

MTA Bus Servicebus service _http://www.metro.net/default.asp_
(http://www.metro.net/default.asp)
MTA - day passes are by far the least trouble. $5 til about 2a.m. or so into
the next day (dawn, really).
MTA Map - Hollywood is West of the downtown area (follow the thick red
subway line on map) _http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/System_Map.pdf_
(http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/System_Map.pdf)
Routes _http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/riders_guide/planning_trip.htm_
(http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/riders_guide/planning_trip.htm)
Sunset Bl. - 2, 302,
LaBrea - 212, 312
Hollywood Bl. - 217, 780, 180, 181
Subway station - at Hollywood Bl./Vine "Hlwd./Vine Station"
go east on Sunset to Vine, then 2blks. north on
Vine
[1/2-blk. east of the corner, in front of the
Pantages Theater];
also at Hollywood Bl./Highland (Chinese Theater -
Kodak Complex)

You'll like the area, it's pretty vivid, the natives are relatively friendly
when not stoned; don't look too touristy, eyes open and brains switched on
and everything'll be just fine. Grab a copy of the LA Weekly (free) for local
listings for clubs, theaters, w/ever. It comes out every Thursday around noon
and lots of stores and sidewalk boxes carry it.

Also, try to avoid too much unnecessary walking at night near sunset/labrea:
nothing has ever happened to me even at 3a.m. but, still... eyes open,
street-sense, knowwhatImean? Around the Sunset STrip.. no problem.

I'd say post this also on the main Gathering list so others can add to it or
read it. [Milinda and Mik and they're human baby among others will be in
town also]. And, Los Angeles is pricey so state your price ranges and if you're
driving, so's to point out parking lots, traffic jam choke-points, speed
traps, etc.

Anything else, or if i missed
anything of interest, ask away...

~~ Saul

[looking at the current state of things..]

'Save me...
save me from Tomorrow..