[kj] London gigs

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Sun Oct 5 14:30:04 EDT 2008

What a cracking pair of gigs!? Unfortunately circumstances meant that I barely made it to the pub on Friday, and not at all on Saturday, but nonetheless the Gathering was definitely out in force.

Set lists:

3/10/08
Requiem
Wardance
Tomorrow's World
Bloodsport
Complications
SO 36
Primitive
Eighties
Fall of Because
Tension
Unspeakable
Who Told You How?
Butcher
Madness
Exit
Follow The Leader
The Wait
Pssyche
Love Like Blood
Change
Are You Receiving?

4/10/08
The Hum
Change
Pssyche
Love Like Blood
Eighties
Whiteout
Exorcism
Labyrinth
Black Moon
Turn To Red
Communion
Money Is Not Our God
Asteroid
Timewave
The Wait
Pandemonium

encore:
Pandys
Wardance

(I could have sworn that they played Empire Song, but it's not on the cd.? Anyone...?)

Seeing the original line-up (plus Reza) was absolutely amazing.? All of them were on top form.? Geordie was - as usual - in another world, just him and his guitar, coaxing out that unique, unearthly noise.? Jaz was trimmed down and very focused. Big Paul was a powerhouse.? How KJ have missed his driving force!? Youth was in his element, very funky.? It hit me once again how much of a dance band Killing Joke are, even when the surface of a track is hard-edged punk / metal / whatever, underneath is this driving bass and drum.....

I was reminded of the Transmission gig a while back, when I saw?Big Paul and Youth?together on the stage for the first time, and I was struck by the incredible link between them.? At the time, I thought that was the closest I'd come to seeing the original Killing Joke, but no...

Top moments: a lot of tracks are aired regularly anyway, but I love Pssyche so much that I don't care!? It was amazing both nights - perhaps better on the second night?? But the highlights were definitely the rarer ones, primarily from WTF on the first night:? Who Told You How was a massive?tribal stomp.? Butcher was stunning - one of my favourite KJ tracks anyway.? Follow The Leaders, Unspeakable,?and Exit were also very powerful.

Worst thing: the lighting. Don't know if it was deliberate, but it was pretty hard to actually *see* the band.? Has it been like that at other gigs?

There was talk of pre-Christmas gathering.? Sounds like a good idea to me...

Jamie