[kj] (OT) gmail

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 17:01:19 EST 2008

=== JKrishnamurti.org - Daily Quote ===

Is There Such a Thing as a Soul?

So to understand this question of death, we must be rid of fear, which
invents the various theories of afterlife or immortality or
reincarnation. So we say, those in the East say, that there is
reincarnation, there is a rebirth, a constant renewal going on and on
and on - the soul, the so-called soul. Now please listen carefully.

Is there such a thing? We like to think there is such a thing, because
it gives us pleasure, because that is something that we have set
beyond thought, beyond words, beyond; it is something eternal,
spiritual, that can never die, and so thought clings to it. But is
there such a thing, as a soul, which is something beyond time,
something beyond thought, something which is not invented by man,
something which is beyond the nature of man, something that is not put
together by the cunning mind? Because the mind sees such enormous
uncertainty, confusion, nothing permanent in life - nothing. Your
relationship to your wife, your husband, your job - nothing is
permanent. And so the mind invents a something which is permanent,
which it calls the soul. But since the mind can think about it,
thought can think about it; as thought can think about it, it is still
within the field of time - naturally. If I can think about something,
it is part of my thought. And my thought is the result of
time, of experience, of knowledge. So, the soul is still within the
field of time...

So the idea of a continuity of a soul that will be reborn over and
over and over again has no meaning because it is the invention of a
mind that is frightened, of a mind that wants, that seeks a duration
through permanency, that wants certainty, because in that there is
hope.

The Book of Life - November 19