[kj] oliver / fox election spin

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Nov 6 11:39:31 EST 2008

I'm confused by the money behind the campaigns. I gather McCain decided to
go with public funding, which capped his campaign spend at $84M.

Was this because he had so badly fucked up his previous campaign despite
all the money he had, that he couldn't count on people forking out more?

Obama decided to go for the other form of funding, whatever that's called,
and ended up with over 3 times as much money.

Where was the majority of it from, corporations / institutions or
individuals?

Does it reflect more popular support for Obama in the public?

I would have expected McCain to have had a much bigger corporate backing
and potentially a lot more money at his disposal...

Confused.