[kj] OT: Spontaneous eruption of mas singing, etc., in NYC after midnight

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 6 03:02:35 EST 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrj_bc2Xy9s

Above, apontaneous celebration in NYC at 1:45 AM captured on home video
at Union Square. Haven't quite seen anything like it, the spontaneous
bursting into song, etc., in my lifetime. It doesn't have the ugly feel
of the Bush/Cheney/9-11 nationalism, but a strange new sort of resurgent
American nationalism I have never seen.

I'm hopeful -- I feel like I can travel to other countries now without
having to pretend I'm Canadian! -- but am trying to soberly have no
illusions about what's to come.

-Oliver