[kj] (OT) The Official US Election Thread

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 12:27:19 EST 2008

"Brendan" wrote:

> You'd think the long lines etc would be good for Ole Crusty and not so

> good for the Young Feller...seeing as he's counting on support from young

> ppl and previously uninterested voters.

> I suppose it IS a massive operation, but fuck's sake, you'd think with God

> knows how many centuries practice they'd have polling under control by

> now...

The last day or so, things have definitely ratcheted up to near-hysterical
proportions on all sides, not just for candidates, but measures and
propositions too.

Some of the tv and radio ads running for the last day regarding several
propositions (especially the California gay marriage ban) have gone
completely over the edge. If the gay thing passes, I'm to expect thousands
of newly minted homo children taught about how a "princess can marry a
princess" to be swarming the streets like something out of "Dawn of the
Dead" and deadly mutant chicken eggs from across the borders flooding our
stores if the so-called "animal rights" bill passes.

By last night we were getting pre-recorded calls and a few "live" ones as
well from various local candidates, supporters and opponents of various
propositions and of course, from the two Presidential candidates at the rate
of about 4 per hour on all 3 phone numbers. After 8pm, I just switched on
the answering machine for the home phone and turned off my cell phone.

Overnight. we got our first real rain this season since about 3am and it
just let up and started clearing around dawn. The polling place was just
starting to get crowded (maybe about 20 people) when my wife and I took a
morning walk and voted at 8am. No chanting Obamaroids, McCainiacs or
psychotic Prop 8 supporters present on the corner like this past weekend, so
it was sadly a comedy-free morning.

A lot of people (rightfully) claim this election has brought out the best in
many people, but it's surely brought out the worst as well. I'm renting a
few movies and will probably avoid watching live tv 'til tomorrow.
Regardless of the outcome, I'll be fuckin' glad when this is over.

T.B.