[kj] Great names

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 29 10:44:23 EDT 2008

Pat Smear is good, and def the Cramps' drummer Nick Knox. Not so sure I
think Venom's names like "Abaddon" is all that great or clever, even
though I love Venom's 1st two LPs, and, as I mentioned, I think KJ's
"Hosannas" title track bears a slight resemblance to Venom's song "Sons
of Satan" the bass line or something?).

I know there are more folks on the Crass label bands who have names Phil
Free. There are names that are kind of funny -- but not "clever" like
Frank Discussion or Lee Ving -- are names like Steve Ignorant, etc.
Those sorts of names don't fit the "uniquely witty" mark, to me.

I always thought the idea behind Dave Vanian's name -- that it was short
for Dave TRANSYLvanian -- was interesting, but not especially clever.
Like Sid Vicious. Cute, amusing, etc., but nothing like Dinah Cancer
(dyin' of cancer). r that matter, you could say T. Rex is "clever."

-Oliver