[kj] ot: TURN ON, TUNE IN, COP OUT

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:50:30 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------

A handmade pamphlet from Bracketpress

TURN ON, TUNE IN, COP OUT
The Commodification of Revolution

an essay by Penny Rimbaud
----------

"Martin Luther King's dream is no longer a dream, it is an intellectual
commodity, a plastic-wrapped piece of schmaltz, a gift-shop platitude as far
removed from its revolutionary roots as a Che Guevara T-shirt: one size fits
All.

Who really knows what King's dream or Guevara's vision were if now they have
become reduced either to leftist sentimentalism or rightist denial (both of
which being examples of 'commodity thinking')? Classically, ideas were an
expression of intent, a psychic co-relationship which at least aspired to
authentic dialogue. In the cyber-world of the 'information revolution',
ideas have become product, not an expression of intent, but a statement of
ownership, an intellectual copyright controlled by the on/off logic of their
source. Hence the intractable nature of today's political dialogue, the 'for
or against-ism' of Bush's United States of Ersatz, the 'I know I was wrong,
but feel I was right-ism' of Blair's United Kingdom of Conformity."

----------

Pamphlet description:
210mm x 136mm, 20 pages, laser copy print on Strathmore Writing Natural
118gsm wove stock,
3-hole sewn into black card jacket with Zerkall Ingres wrapper and
letterpress printed bookplate.

Hand numbered edition of 100 copies

£5 – inc. P&P

If ordering from outside of the UK, we now accept payment by PayPal
[e-mail your order to us and we will forward a Payment Request Form for you
to complete].
Alternatively, a Bankers Draft in GBP Sterling or we will accept US Dollars
cash,
sent using a signed-for/tracked postal service.

Please make all payments payable to 'Bracketpress'
Bracketpress 183 Dunkirk Rise College Bank Rochdale OL12 6UJ
Lancashire UK

www.bracketpress.co.uk www.onoffyesno.com

--
iPat