[kj] Metallica Tonight at The Wiltern Theater

melinda grant hollytree1961 at hotmail.com
Thu May 15 11:36:18 EDT 2008

i have always liked there---ONE-- track ;) but wai a minutet,were was their cover of --THE WAIT ;D ?> Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 12:57:05 +0100> From: ade at the-lab.zetnet.co.uk> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] Metallica Tonight at The Wiltern Theater> > Nice one - looking at the setlist, it seems they didn't play much in the> way of medlies except 'Quick jam/Last Caress/Green Hell'... which helps.> > -----Original Message-----> From: gathering-bounces at misera.net> [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net]On Behalf Of T.B.> Sent: 15 May 2008 09:04> To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)> Subject: [kj] Metallica Tonight at The Wiltern Theater> > > Wow. What a great show.> > Just to offer a bit of background, I'm not a huge Metallica fan. I have see > them 3 times before, once at the beginning of the "And Justice For All" tour > in late '89, early in the Black album tour in '91 with Faith No More and > again the same tour with Guns n' Roses. After that, I lost interest even > though I casually kept up on their post Black album releases.> > When tickets went on sale for this relatively small benefit show for a local > music conservatory in Silver Lake, I figured it would at least be cool to > see these guys in a small venue.> > I got to The Wiltern Theater around 6:30 which is usually plenty of time to > get admittance in the pit as long as I'm within the first 200 - 250 in line > to get in. Tonight was completely insane though. Probably because both the > floor and the balcony was separate GA, it seemed like *everyone* going to > the show was already there and the line went completely around the block. I > have never seen so many people lined up to get in this venue that early > before the doors opened.> > Still, they opened the doors around 7:15 and the line moved fast and I was > able to get a great spot just outside the pit about 25 feet back from the > stage. The place filled up really fast and the opening band was "Scars on > Broadway" which was comprised of a few old members of System of a Down. > Pretty decent band, kind of a cross between older Rush and maybe Anthrax or > something. The audience was really well behaved through their set but you > could tell everyone was just waiting to explode Once Metallica took the > stage.> > And sure enough, just after 9:30, Metallica opened with "Am I Evil" and the > place went nuts. Even though there were lots of signs posted warning > against moshing and crowd surfing, there were several pockets of it going on > through most of the show although by the last third of the show, it kind of > died down especially after it appeared several people got pretty badly > injured. Also I saw paramedics come in and haul at least two really wasted > guys out from the front late in the show.> > The band itself was just incredibly tight from start to finish. Everyone > seemed at the top of their game. Absolutely no weak links in the band at > all. The sounded as muscular and precise as any time in the late 80's, imo. > The sound was really fuckin' loud yet perfect sounding. >From a musical > standpoint, I couldn't ask for better. James rarely sang and played center > stage, he usually stayed either on the right or left side mics while > Trujillo and Hammit traded center stage. Hetfield only briefly spoke to the > audience a few times about the reason for the benefit and the band pretty > much just slammed through the set non stop.> > A cool part of the encore was when Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea joined > the band for "Fight Fire With Fire."> > The only downside was no new stuff from the upcoming album was played.> > Other than that, a superb show.> > setlist:> > Am I Evil> Fuel> For Whom The Bell Tolls> Sanitarium> And Justice For All> Sad But True> Disposable Heroes> One> Master Of Puppets> Battery> Encore 1:> Quick jam/Last Caress/Green Hell> No Remorse> Enter Sandman> Encore 2:> Fight Fire With Fire (Flea guesting on Bass)> Seek And Destroy> > T.B. > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering> > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering