[kj] KJ in LA --

T.B. Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Wed Mar 19 00:53:22 EDT 2008

"Brendan" wrote:

>I remember Porno for Pyros...some song about All the guys who really have

> the money are too old to have fun with it...always stuck with me.

> Did Perkins put on some weight, I watched an earlier vid of Mountain Song

> and he looked a lot weedier...thought it was a completely different

> drummer. Who are your other favourite drummers out of interest? I'm

> obviously a big fan of Matt Cameron, and Danny Carey. Chuck in Mike

> Portnoy, Bonham of course, and certainly Big Paul. Oh and Animal :) What's

> Frank up to these days, still on list?

Perkins has added a few pounds the last decade but he's far from fat. What
really makes him look different is he's lost most of his hair and sticks
with a buzz cut these days.

Aside from Perkins, other drummers I really like and respect include Mark
Brzezicki (Big Country), Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins), Kevin Haskins
(Bauhaus).... Larry Mullen Jr from U2 (although I admit he's average at best
and only benefits from a fairly distinctive sound).

Bruce Springsteen's drummer, Max Weinberg who is a really solid drummer who
I enjoy watching any time I see Springsteen live. I used to really like
Tommy Lee back in the early Motley Crue days. Lars Ulrich was really good in
Metallica until around the Black album. Bev Beven of the Electric Light
Orchestra used to be another favorite decades ago. Same with Queen's Roger
Taylor. With a lot of these guys, it's more a definable sound much like
say, almost anyone can tell it's Eddie Van Halen playing guitar when you
hear (VH's cover of) "You Really Got Me" on the radio.

I'm not any real fan of Rush, but when I saw them on a whim about 5 years
ago, Neil Peart blew me away.

Of all the drummers that have been in Killing Joke, Atkins is probably my
favorite.

John Bonham was and still is the gold standard of rock drummers though.

T.B.