[kj] ot cnn news autism vaccine case won

culturevirus culturevirus at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 22:03:37 EST 2008

Yes, that's why I said the vaccine scenario would not account for a simple cause and effect. Girls also have testosterone in their systems which plays a key role in their sex drive IIRC. There are obviously multiple factors interacting to create the condition. It's also possible that diagnosis in girls is less likely due to differences in social behaviors. While my daughter displays some language irregularities, like most girls she's fairly social if a little shy. It's only her awareness of her "differentness" that keeps her from interacting more with peers. With adults she's quite likely to strike up conversations and interacts more freely with adults than her peers.

In my daughter's case, there may be a genetic component. If I were a child today I'd likely be diagnosed with mild ADHD, which some now consider part of the spectrum. My father while being an independent adult is functionally illiterate and dropped out before he entered high school being unable to function in the U.S. public school system of the 1940's. Before I knew anything about autism I assumed that my father may be dyslexic, now I'm not so sure.

Interesting discussion and it's good to hear from others with autistic kids and to hear from list members with the diagnosis.

On a KJ related note I recently received an order I placed for the all new remasters from the first self-titled thru Outside the Gate. For most of them it's the first time I've owned them on disc and it will be the first time I've ever heard OTG, when I finally get to it. I'm especially impressed with the difference in sound quality on the first album. I didn't order the Ha! remaster at the time because I feel like they should have included the complete show instead of adding on the Birds of a Feather single (which should have been the bonus tracks on Revelations instead). Based on my impressions so far Ha! should be worth it regardless of my disagreement with the track list.

I am culturevirus

Brendan Quinn <bq at soundgardener.co.nz> wrote: v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } Not necessarily…there are many physical, genetic, and even behavioural differences between males and females starting with the Y chromosome and hormone levels, which could potentially explain the higher incidence amongst boys. Hormones are extremely important in determining male and female characteristics, testosterone for example is basically one of the fundamental things that makes men men.

Scientists have discovered that genetics is far more complex than the old idea of single genes coding for single behaviours. You often used to hear things like “scientists have found the gene that controls Englebert Humperdink appreciation” or whatever. Now they are reaching an understanding that single genes can affect multiple things, carrying multiple copies of genes can have a greater effect than single copies, genes can have a stronger effect in the presence of other particular genes, some cancel others out, there may even be competition amongst genes.

The hormonal environment while in the womb also has a strong effect on development, as does the environment post-birth (obviously), the environment including behaviour, diet, medicine including vaccines etc.

So, without a complete understanding of how the body builds and repairs itself, or even how it works once it’s built…tracking down the cause of these kind of things becomes more difficult.

I would personally like to see whether the increased incidence of autism is mirrored in non-western diet societies (healthy ones), to remove dietary factors from the equation, because our diet has changed quite a lot over the last 100 years. I’m not sure what people feed infants these days, but I am not a fan of artificial flavourings, colours, preservatives, etc. And I wonder, even if infants aren’t eating them directly, how the mother’s diet prior to and during pregnancy, and even when breast-feeding, affects children.

Just another thing to weigh up and consider I suppose, in the mix of potential factors causing the condition.

I am culturevirus