[kj] Youth, The Cure samples.....

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 06:50:26 EST 2008

I was always stumped by the tonsorial/sartorial trajectory that The
Cure took. In most cases, bands *START* with a flamboyant, theatric
look -- and then gradually abandon it when their music takes the
(deserved) front seat. In terms of The Cure -- go back and look at
their pics and videos from their first few albums. They dressed like
relatively normal -- albeit slightly anti-social -- British youth. It
was only circa PORNOGRAPHY or so that they really seemed to go all
Adams Family.

I suppose Robert has the last laugh, but really -- he's starting to
look like Marlon Brando circa "Apocalypse Now" in drag.

Alex in NYC

>>> http://hittmanka.fotosik.pl/albumy/384418.html

>>> 2008/3/1, ade <ade at the-lab.zetnet.co.uk>:

>>> I bet it's not only Porl with the moobies...

>>> Yeah, Fat Bobs playing on that & 'A Hundred Years' offa the 'Cure in

>>> Orange' gig is fucking amazing. Well worth a listen. One of the best

>>> & most underrated guitarists from the post-punk era. I'd say ;)

>>> if you do it when you're older J

>>> Especially if you've put on a bit of weight.

>>> credit....look at the whole mess with Bittersweet Symphony and The

>>> Verve/Rolling Stones for example.

>>> Anyone elses thoughts on it? Its a fantastic homage regardless, but

>>> not crediting it I think its risky grounds.

>>> forum.....

>>> alarmist. I doubt the Cure are particularly bothered about whether

>>> the track is credited to them or not. I mean, the damn track is

>>> called "Glade" (i.e. an open space in a forrest). It's clearly a

>>> reference and/or homage to the Cure track.

>>> This isn't a "Come As You Are"/"Eighties" sort of discrepancy at

>>> all.

>>> Alex in NYC

>>> On Feb 29, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Termite wrote:

>>> I love Transmissions album, and I love The Cure too, if it was a

>>> homage then why not state so? They were not trying to convince

>>> anyone that the track WASNT their own either?!?!, so maybe if you

>>> don't like to chose the words "rip off" then its "unreported homage"

>>> Has either Big Paul or Youth ever throughout any interviews stated

>>> they are Cure fans?

>>> own.

>>> Alex in NYC

>>> On Feb 29, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Termite wrote:

>>> Tried listening to anything by Transmission? That is Youth and Big

>>> Paul, sounds like a more ambient version of The Cure especially

>>> songs like Star Stella and Glade (A very close Cure's A forest

>>> instrumental rip off)

>>> Subject: [kj] Youth........................

>>> Anyone know what kind of music he has been making recently?

>>> Is he still into Goan trance and techno and all that or has his

>>> tastes changed /

>>> I was wondering what direction the new impending KJ album will take

>>> because the Yyouth influence on the Pandemonium Album is all to

>>> apparent

>>> Sounds like? How many syllables? Guess and win prizes with Search

>>> Charades!

>>> Gathering mailing list

>>> Gathering at misera.net

>>> Gathering mailing list