[kj] Pandemonium Night

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Mar 1 18:02:43 EST 2008

To me, Black Moon conjures up the fascination and fear of the unknown, and
in particular the dark unknown of the inner self. It explores the
relationship between the conscious self and the subconscious self, or
shadow. It conveys the question of the nature of good and evil, not as
abstract concepts, but as a perpetual inner struggle.

The singer takes you on a Lovecraftian first-person journey through a
struggle to understand the nature and origin of his dark side, his shadow,
tracing the lineage of pain in an unending legacy through past generations.
At the end he turns around to look at the nature of evil in himself and
challenge it, and the tone of the song conveys the terror and hopelessness
he feels as he attempts to pass through Chapel Perilous.

Now that is something you DON’T get often, at least so eloquently and
viscerally articulated, with any other band. Except Tool.

The defence rests.

_____