[kj] kj documentary

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sun Jun 15 21:05:40 EDT 2008

PS: That game was a variation of paper scissors rock, or Roshambo, which is
actually a fair bit more complex than you'd think. Gabmlers and
mathematicians are into it...one of the best ways of playing is to totally
randomise your moves, thereby restricting your opponent to a 33% chance of
guessing each time, while predicting their pattern and thereby improving
your odds above 33%. But becoming totally random is a lot harder than you'd
think.

There's loads more to it as well...my personal favourite trick is to
randomly make a decision in real life contingent on who wins the game...a
trick you can use is to change the name of the game and expect that your
opponent will choose the last word you use...so you go "Paper scissors ROCK"
and chances are that they will choose rock just because it's the last thing
they heard... So you choose paper. But you need to spring it on them quickly
and not give them any time to think.

Good for free pizza from time to time :)