[kj] So 80s

Paul Rangecroft paul.rangecroft at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:03:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Janean Lancaster <
Janean.Lancaster at hopwood.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'll stick my neck right out here and confess to loving loads of 80s

> pop. 9 of my top 10 favourite songs are 80s songs (I discovered that when

> my dad in NZ asked me to write him a list). But I'm hardly stuck in the

> past, though.

> The majority of 80s pop is awful – most pop from any decade is shite (look

> at the 70s!). But I love loads of it - Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Human

> League (pre-84). I saw Yazoo live on Saturday night and was just expecting

> some nostalgic tinkly synthpop. But I was floored by it. Best sounding gig

> I've been to. It was seriously funky disco – and there's nowt wrong with

> that.

> Should I get my coat?

Get your coat and bring your CD collection 'round to mine.

Music wasn't so cynical back then. Bands could get together and write songs
for the sake of the music and still be big. I guess you still can these days
(like that song that's #1 that I hear at the gym all the time) but just not
so much of the mainstream stuff falls under that category now.

I love loads of 80s bands: Blancmange, Bunnymen, Teardrops/Cope, Frankie,
Stephen Duffy ... those are the least embarrassing ones.