[kj] Peter Murphy House of Blues L.A. Last Night

folk devil folkdevil_23 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 12:14:05 EDT 2008

"During my interview with the eloquent, surprisingly forthcoming David J. at the Met, I couldn't help but veer off a bit and ask about the new, self-released Bauhaus disc, Go Away White, a collection that is sure to have goth, garage and glam-rock fans alike bowing down.
He calls the experience "hell and rose petals," an analogy you can take both literally (on the band's last tour, the stage was always covered with roses) and metaphorically (he adds that "the thorns were always intact").
"There was one incident where we had a big fight in the studio. We weren't going to carry on, and we were just going to dump the album," he reveals. "We were waiting for Peter [Murphy] to turn up. Our beef was with him. So he comes in, and he does this shocking and brilliant thing. Pure Zen. He comes in, and he just spits rose petals in our faces. It just cut through everything. We couldn't argue with that. So we just went in and continued recording."
But the friendship didn't stay flowery for long, and after honoring their last tour dates, J. says, they were ready for space, lots of it, "like continents." He states categorically that the release is their last. The End. Curtain."

http://www.laweekly.com/music/music/bauhaus-david-j-talks-silver-for-gold/18431/

and one for the stalkers
http://theguide.latimes.com/profiles/1422/lists/160287> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:06:03 +0100> From: ade at the-lab.zetnet.co.uk> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] Peter Murphy House of Blues L.A. Last Night> > I think it's pretty obvious really. Pete has an ego the size of something> very big. Danny doesn't like that, 'cos he's not much better himself. They> grate with each other, innit.> > I can't see how any of the Haskins clan really come into it, other than> Pete inevitably annoying them, as he would anybody when he starts to wax> lyrical. But I think the real clash is Pete/Danny.> > To say they were labelled 'pretentious' back in the day, Pete really seems> to make the effort to live up to it !!!> > -----Original Message-----> From: gathering-bounces at misera.net> [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net]On Behalf Of T.B.> Sent: 11 June 2008 16:15> To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)> Subject: Re: [kj] Peter Murphy House of Blues L.A. Last Night> > > "Bette Dillinger" wrote:> > That's interesting....David J had a book out of photos of Bauhaus, where he > expressly stated he focused on Peter Murphy and there is an essay about > "Murphy's beauty, yadda, yadda, he's great" on Peter Murphy's website by > David J. So, I always thought it was Daniel Ash and Peter Murphy who had > the issues. Just the body language when I saw them gave me that impression > as well.> > +++++++++> > Based on multiple reports from the last month's worth of shows on the last > Bauhaus tour, there was definitely a lot of tension and even aggression > between Murphy and Ash. At one show, Murphy was having around a clutch of > red roses and either accidently or on purpose smacked Ash across the face > with them (on the thorny stems) and Ash abruptly threw down his guitar and > walked off the stage.> > Here's another amusing account of one of the last shows of the tour where > Murphy calls the rest of the band "a bunch of marys" who then leave him > alone onstage when they walk off:> > http://www.bauhausmusik.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1656> > Ahhh, good times.> > T.B.> > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering> > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering