[kj] OT: Speaking of Bo Diddley...

ade ade at the-lab.zetnet.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 17:39:25 EDT 2008

My inability to get this across right is down to my lack of music theory knowledge, though I guess
I know what these things are, just don't know their names or rules. Hence the rules *can* go out
the window. But anyway, I'll try!

He sort've *moves around* the beat, dropping different accents in, whch can move with or against
the beat, etc. So you often get that thing where he totally changes the landscape of a tune when he
drops in, accenting different parts of the bar to what the bass, drums & vocals are. Like offsetting the
whole thing so it no longer seems like a regular 4/4 beat. I guess add the tribal drumming & it sounds
all over the place, though as you say, they like 4/4. I think they want the steady, pounding delivery of
4/4 & then embellish it to fuck. Particularly earlier on.