[kj] OT: Speaking of Bo Diddley...

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 6 16:20:01 EDT 2008

Ade,

Yeah, that's an incredible video.

The thing I like about Diddley's style, I am finding out (I always
ignored or avoided him because he seemed like someone my parents would
like, which meant I would automatically shun it, and I missed out on
some decent stuff because of that stubborness) -- is his really weird
utilization of the more percussive, chunky, chunk-chunk-wokka-wokka
aspects of the guitar that are amplified through certain types of
distortion. And the way he effortlessly maneuvers across the fretboard
while swinging the damn thing around. The opening of, for example,
Killing Joke's "Tabazan," where Geordie does that weird, palm-muted
"chukka-chukka-chunk-chunk" thing before playing outright identifiable
notes -- that is the kind of thing I guess Diddley was going way back as
early as the 50s..????

The Sun Records crew, god bless them, in the 1950s were more interested
in Western-style twang for their rockabilly. I like that style, too. But
Diddley was going down this really chugga-chugga, chikka-chikka type of
guitar path that wasn't fully exploited until heavy metal came along,
when you would have regular palm muted "rhythm guitar" essentially
trying to play counterpoint to the drumming, chugging along to the
drums. I'm not an uber-scholar, but from all I have seen, it looks like
Diddley is one of the pioneers of that aspect of rock guitar.

That video you posted is indeed pretty incredible.

-Oliver