[kj] Congrats Obama

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Wed Jun 4 18:54:53 EDT 2008

I watched 5 mins of Penn and Teller doing a BULLSHIT show on the 911
conspiracy theory topic last night, kicked it in the head half way through
because their idea of discrediting the theory seemed to be to find the
most fringe, unconvincing loonies they possibly could and yell swear words
at them. Makes for good tv, but doesn't make for a particularly valid
debate IMO. You can find a loonbag with an opinion about anything if you
look hard enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcrF346sS_I

Penn strikes me as a natural litigator as well, gift of the gab, big loud
energetic and in your face (and yes, entertaining and funny too). I tend
to give more weight to the quiet and considered approach of Chomsky for
example.

I am undecided on the whole idea of 9/11 conspiracy theories. One thing
that does seem strange is that the 9/11 and London train bombings both
apparently coincided with drills for those exact same scenarios.

Also a bit strange that WTC7 collapsed, right down the middle when it
didn't even take a hit.

I did read a better debunking of some of the conspiracy theories, esp the
one about the jet fuel not reaching the temperature required to destroy
the steel foundations of the WTC buildings. As the engineers explained,
the steel only needed to be heated to the point of structural deformation,
not actual destruction.

And the puffs of smoke seen coming out of the lower floors are consistent
with the shock wave of the higher levels collapsing and sending air
downwards...

But I note there's a book out about debunking the debunkers...which makes
perfect sense, science at work (you'd hope).