[kj] OT because there's fuck-all KJnews to talk about:Great names

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 3 20:32:03 EDT 2008

Aristocrats was almost as big a let down as Juno, which played like a
lobotomized Ghostworld-meets-DeGrassi High episode.

(There needs to be a name for the sub-genre of movies of smirkingly wry
precocious teenage girls surrounded by eccentric characters who, though
misfits, eventually have some deep revelation about life that causes
them to "come of age" -- that's like a whole cottage industry of movies,
a la "My First Mister," a horrible take on this genre with Leelee
Sobieski [2001] as the stock precocious, sarcastic teenage girl
protagonist, also surrounded, like Juno, by eccentric or weird adults
who don't understand her; humor is replaced with the protagonist being
droll and precious in these films. I always picture the LiveJournal
demographic thinking they're brilliant.)

-Oliver