[kj] [OT] little earthquakes

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Tue Jul 29 16:17:19 EDT 2008

"folk devil" wrote:

> Well, LA just had a 5.8.

I was in Newport Beach, right across the street in one of the top floors of
one of the high-rise medical buildings across the street from Fashion Island
in the dentists' chair. She was just finishing up a routine teeth cleaning
on me and everything started shaking and we could hear some women in one of
the adjacent offices screaming about "an earthquake." Naturally, the
dentist ran out in the waiting room leaving me sitting n' drooling in the
fuckin' chair with a tray of tools on my chest while the shaking continued.
I've been a Southern CA native my entire life (almost 50 years) so I've
ridden through some decent quakes in my time and this one honestly didn't
feel that significant or last that long. I never would have thought it was a
5.8. Most of the people evacuated the building and as I was pretty much
done, I simply left. Interestingly, there was no cell phone service for
almost an hour afterwards.

Unfortunately, when I got home about 20 minutes North in Huntington Beach, I
discovered that along with several built and painted Japanese resin garage
kits had tumbled to the floor off the glass display stand and suffered some
damage.

T.B.