[kj] OT -- Sex Pis.. -- now, working at the Bank

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Jul 26 00:29:20 EDT 2008

That's quite a black and white, binary way of looking at it. I'd basically
agree BUT...

a) public sentiment and knowledge about the ethics of companies is
potentially influential regardless of investment capital. Companies
generally sell goods or services, so negative consequences to the bottom
line can result from the market becoming aware of unethical behaviour and
voting with their dollar

b) institutional investors are people too, not all of them are big fat
corporate whores, they have consciences (some of them) and families etc...

c) even when you are pretty sure there's no practical point in acting
ethically, i.e. it will have no effect, it's good to do it for the sake of
your own abiltity to get to sleep at night. And...you never know. This is
why I will often say my piece even when I think the intended audience is
oblivious or hostile. I've made out like I don't give a shit to things
people have said before but it's actually had an effect, maybe not
immediately...