[kj] Thread attempt one: ex's back -- now POPE Brendan Sydney...

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Jul 19 02:43:06 EDT 2008

That would be perfect! There's catholics wandering all over the place,
singing songs etc...how can I get one of those t-shirts ASAP? Does anyone
have a scan of that pic that I could take into a shirt printing place?
I'll get it done immediately if I can...what a brilliant idea! I'm
wandering around in a completely inoffensive Soundgarden t-shirt at the
moment.

I'll have to brush up on my Jiu Jitsu as well cos I'm bound to get the
shit kicked out of me, there's some surprisingly thuggish catholics
wandering around...

It's funny checking out the wry looks some of the the young goths give the
catholics :)

But by and large it's a nice atmosphere. PERFECT chance for me to rain on
their parade...

> [...]

>> --- On Wed, 7/16/08, Brendan <bq at soundgardener.co.nz> wrote:

>> From: Brendan <bq at soundgardener.co.nz>

>> Subject: Re: [kj] Thread attempt one: ex's back

>> To: "A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)"

>> <gathering at misera.net>

>> Date: Wednesday, July 16, 2008, 6:38 PM

>> A lot of ppl are after tha 'best' ab exercise...I do a range of

> 10-15 or

>> so different exercises (most done on the floor with bodyweight or

>> perhaps

>> a medicine ball for external resistance) over the course of a 3-month or

>> so program, also modifying the volume, intensity, prioritisation, and

>> tempo, along a continuum going from light, isolated, slow movements at

>> the

>> beginning, to harder, quicker, more compound movements towards the end

>> of

>> the program. A single exercise and single set / rep scheme is

>> sub-optimal,

>> and will in fact lead to muslce imbalances over time.

>> The exercise you mention is an absolute killer, but it's a compromise.

> It

>> works the upper abs and hip flexors simultaneously, the nervous system

>> is

>> also taxed initially because it has to learn a relatively complex

>> movement

>> involving balancing the body while performing two different joint

>> flexions

>> patterns...you're flexing the trunk and also flexing at the hip. But

>> because you're doing two joint movements simultaneously, there are

> some

>> advantages and some disadvantages. Mixed training = mixed results, as

>> they

>> say. There is very little rotation, side flexion, and no real postural

>> recruitment. No exercise provides all that. Yoga and Pilates do however,

>> as performed undre a good teacher.

>> I just wrote a big spiel on ab training and back pain, lost it when I

>> went

>> to put on some music on this PC, will re-do it sometime if anyone is

>> interested. Basically though, go to Pilates or Yoga because they are

>> great, I've done both and both have helped with back pain and more :)

> But

>> ab training is probably at most 25% of lower back injury prevention /

>> rehab...you also need to consider stretching, massage, posture,

>> nutrition

>> / hydration, assymetrical activities, mindset / stress, etc...

>>>   What are those situps called where you do a crunch while pulling

> your

>>> knees up

>>> to your stomach? Supposed to be the best thing ever...

>>> ... ... ... ... ... ...

>>> (looking at the current state of things)

>>> 'Save

> me..

>>>  save me from Tomorrow..

>>>  I don't want to sail in this Ship Of Fools...!'

>>> margin:0px;padding:0px;}

>>> #yiv537169317 {

>>> FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}

>>> strengthen your abs first, otherwise your back is always going to give

>>> you

>>> grief..

>>> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 01:56:50 -0400

>>> From: killingjoke at theimmortalfool.com

>>> To: gathering at misera.net

>>> Subject: Re: [kj] Thread attempt one: Poll

>>> Had back issues for a long long time. I did cut down on my biking

> since

>>> I