[kj] Back pain 101

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Jul 19 02:36:09 EDT 2008

I still have two sore elbows after getting them hurt in Jiu Jitsu, not
sure of the proper name of the move but we used to call it 'Chicken Wing'
at one of the dojos I trained at. I used to have completely the wrong idea
and try to muscle out of holds, cos I was fit as a fiddle at the time.
Duh. I also trained with a guy who used to beat his students up, he nailed
me in that hold as a white belt, I heard it pop. What a legend.

And yeah, if I'd done enough stretching from the get go I wouldn't have to
do as much as I do now...most of my injuries are from repeated abuse at
the gym, and neglecting to address injuries for too long.

I just found out about the Yoga thing recently, went to my first ever
class. Agreed it's great, although I won't be going back as I can get more
done on my own than in a class situation, and I can't do some of the stuff
they do due to injuries. But for most lay ppl it's great, and if I can get
my joints working properly again and find a good instructor I'd love to
get into it...