[kj] Thread attempt one: Poll

Lennonka lennonka at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 05:23:54 EDT 2008

Well, that's quite a problem : )) I speak Czech and he speaks Slovak but I
can't speak Slovak - the pronunciation is a greater problem, the Slovak
language is much softer than Czech, and I dunno how can I transribe it for
you.

Let me try:

Hello ... ahoj [ahoy]
Goodbye ... dovidenia [doviďeňya]
Yes ... áno [a:no]
No ... nie [ňye]
Thank you ... ďakujem [ďakuyem]
That's funny ... To je legrační [to ye legratchni]
That's witty ... To je vtipné [to ye vtipne]
That's interesting ... To je zaujmave [to ye zauymave]
Sorry, I got excited ... ... ... (I don't know how they say this...)
... Sorry ... prepáč [prepa:tch]

Explanations:
1) ":" means traditionally "the previous vowel is long"
2) the last vowel is always pronounced
3) "y" reads like in the English word "yes"
4) ň and ď read soft; perhaps [ny] and [dy] in a very compact way
5) "tch" reads as you're used to like in the word "patch"

I would love to hear you speaking Slovakian, Brendan : )))

Ask her to teach you more, hihi.

--
With love & peace
Lennonka