[kj] New trailer for Death & Resurrection Show

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Tue Jul 1 20:06:16 EDT 2008

In all honesty I don’t know enough about the band or the band members
individually to defend or vilify them, so I’ll reserve my comments on that.
Except to say that I didn’t get that impression about Jaz’s comments about
Raven.

I’m really looking forward to the movie regardless of its focus. In terms of
whether it’s going to be the Jaz Coleman Sideshow or more about Killing
Joke, for starters it’s not finished, we’ve only seen snippets, also we’ve
seen plenty of clips of people talking about the band, including the band
members, other musicians (Page), Gatherers, and music industry people. I’m
also not sure if it’s a pure doco, if you watch The Year of the Devil (it’s
up on YouTube) and also Jaz’s comments about getting real people to ‘play’
parts etc, then I get the impression that it’s part movie / part doco, and
for the viewer to decide how much to believe. Which I can dig. That’s the
idea with Gnosticism I suppose, you take what’s useful to you and discard
what’s not, and learn through experience. I think people were a bit freaked
out by Jaz’s sermon, but I get the impression that’s either part of the
movie, or him getting up there and letting his dark side or shadow have a
vent…? Dunno really, that’s part of the fun I suppose.

I’m interested (and entertained) by Jaz’s ideas and philosophies, but yeah
I’m also keen to hear more from the other band members about the same as
it’s a common and unifying thread, so I agree, I hope there’s room given to
the other band members to discuss their ideas. I was sucked into KJ by
Pandemonium, partly by the lyrical content of songs like Exorcism,
Communion, Labyrinth, Mathetmatics of Chaos etc, so anything any of them
have to talk about in terms of philosophy, the nature of life, the universe
and everything…I’m keen to hear. It’s a rare band that has something
interesting to say.

Anyways, I’m looking forward to the DVD coming out, and if I can fangle
coming over to the UK to see them I’ll be stoked, if not then I’ll be
putting a hex on the assholes responsible for stopping me.

_____