[kj] they did not have to be born in ny btw to b punks olly; D)))!

Mik mik at corvids.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 18:19:11 EST 2008

> I saw someone (Mik

Not me, more than likely Alex. lol

-----Original Message-----
From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On
Behalf Of B. Oliver Sheppard
Sent: 24 January 2008 23:11
To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)
Subject: Re: [kj] they did not have to be born in ny btw to b punks olly;
D)))!

Well, I am kinda against the whole "scene pride" thing. My point in
weighing in on this was I saw someone (Mik?) counting the Stooges, MC5,
Dead Boys as among NYC punk rockers, when those are actually Midwestern
bands. The Dead Boys relocated.

If I wanted to be a "Fuck You, I'm From Texas" kind of person, which I
am not, I could go to elaborate, convoluted lengths to say real
underground garage punk rock began in Texas with garagey bands like 13th
Floor Elevators, Zakary Thaks, all these great 60s TX proto-punk bands.
But those bands existed everywhere in '66, even if the book _Punk 365_
opens with a big picture of Roky Erockson and the 13th Floor Elevators_
in Austin in the late 1960s. But these bands are just that --
proto-punk. I am not on anyone's side here. We all know MacLaren managed
the NY Dolls, went back to London and then wanted to start this or that
band, and he had seen bands like Television, etc.

I don't know what city gets the blue ribbon for being the 1st, but it's
either London or NYC, I guess. I don't care. But there is something
quantifiably different about punk that separates it from garage rock or
other predecessors.

-Oliver