[kj] ot new york hadfirst punks,sorry mik ;)

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 24 17:53:01 EST 2008

Did I say Stooges, MC5, etc were the 1st punk bands? I was pointing out
they weren't from NYC originally, since someone included in a list of
first punk bands the Stooges, MC5 etc. saying they were NYC rockers.

The rest of my statement agreed with you, basically -- that it's an
endlessly contentious/pointless debate. But it's nice to put a starting
date on it somewhere. I'm fine with 1975 and think it makes some sense,
and you're right, the bands that I did mention -- MC5, Stooges -- but
whom I did not say were punk -- only that they were from the Detroit
area and not NYC originally -- were done by 1975. Of course, Iggy
wasn't. And MC5 and Stooges members had formed Sonic's Rendezous Band by
then, IIRC.

-Oliver