[kj] Author Norman Spinrad's use of the phrase "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" in the 1970s

Daniel Corvo danielcorvo at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 03:40:59 EST 2008

I read the Iron Dream, and I'm sure I will enjoy Beyond Armageddon which I have just ordered. Thanks for the info!> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 04:54:31 -0600> From: bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] Author Norman Spinrad's use of the phrase "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" in the 1970s> > Well, of course his name is Norman Spinrad, and he is an author, but, > yes, Arthur Norman Spinrad, if that were his name, which it isn't, > that'd be up there with Nathaniel Whipple or something. Old school > Harvard elite or something.> > Incidentally, Norman Spinrad wrote an alternative history book about > Hitler, where Hitler becomes a sci-fi writer after leaving Germany in > the 1930s, and he writes a novel called _The Iron Dream_. Spinrad's > novel about this called _The Iron Dream_ and contains the text of > Hitler's novel, which is an unabashed Aryan power fantasy. The book was > banned in Germany because there's a swastika on the cover. Since Jaz > also likes this kind of stuff I was thinking Jaz must have known about > Spinrad and his fiction, and maybe since the "Big Falash" was about a > rock band using the phrase "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns," that was > where Jaz specifically got the inspiration.> > But I don't know that much about the BTATS title's story otherwise. I > was just shocked reading this short story about the rock group from the > 70s and seeing they also used it.> > I could quote the passages at length.> > -Oliver> > > > Brendan wrote:> > Or Heineken...> >> > PS: Arthur Norman Spinrad...great name! Sounds like the kind of bloke who> > has a purple velvet smoking jacket and a plush study filled with dusty> > books, huge fluffy eyebrows and a penchant for buggery...> >> >> > > >> > > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering