[kj] Author Norman Spinrad's use of the phrase "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" in the 1970s

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 15 14:24:38 EST 2008

Is this a well known thing? Was reading a short story by sci-fi author
Norman Spinrad today, "The Big Flash," about a rock group called the
Four Horsemen who help provoke Armageddon. They use an uadio visual
display for their band that includes a film with someone reciting the
line "Brighter than a thousand suns..."

Is this common Killing Joke lore? I was pretty stunned when I read this.
The Spinrad story "The Big Flash" is in a collection of post-apocalyptic
sci-fi and horror stories called _Beyond Armageddon_. Like I said, the
story itself was written during the Nixon administration.

-Oliver