[kj] OT: End of the Year! Post your BEST OF lists

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 8 06:21:24 EST 2008

Yeah, Agoraphobic Nosebleed have been around awhile. I've always been
partial to The Exploding Plastic Fuck Dolls' name.

It's a testament to punk's subsumption into mainstream culture that
there is a show in TV in the UK now called "Nevermind the Buzzcocks,"
which, from what I have seen, has little to do with punk, or the
Buzzcocks. Or that the Buzzcocks have a commercial for AARP. I mean, not
even 15 years ago, a band with a name like "Buzzcocks" might find it
hard to get exposure or airplay, just based on their name, taken from an
x-rated rag. Now we regularly have kids saying names like "Buzzcocks,"
or "Butthole Surfers," which is arguably worse.

And, man, in the real dark ages, even The Damned complained they were
told their name was a barrier to commercial viability; they were often
urged to change it in the early 80s when they were starting to work with
MCA.

Times sure have changed. I'd like a world where "Butthole Surfers" and
"Anal Cunt" are regularly spoken by 5 year olds.

-Oliver