[kj] OT: End of the Year! Post your BEST OF lists

T.B. Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Mon Jan 7 13:11:07 EST 2008

My Top 5 album Picks:

New Releases:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
In Rainbows - Radiohead
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby '81

Reissues:

U2 - The Joshua Tree (deluxe package)

Didn't see enough concerts last year to get a solid top 10, but I can do a
top 5. Here in order, my top 5 shows of 2007 (all SoCal area shows):

Van Halen - Staples Arena
Their first show in LA (in late November) with Roth back fronting the band.
I lucked out and landed a 5th row seat right next to the ramp on Eddie's
side of the stage. Although the band isn't the same band as they were back
in the early 80's and slotting in Eddie's 16 year old son on bass at the
expense of Michael Anthony did take away a bit from the overall vibe. Roth
in particular isn't as animated as he used to be, however he compensated by
actually singing far better than he ever has in the past. A near-perfect
setlist of over 25 songs drawing only from their first 6 albums wonderfully
performed, this was my favorite show of '07.

Arcade Fire - Greek Theater
On of those rare shows where I went on a whim really not knowing what to
expect and being totally blown away by the performance and the songs. I
think the last time I had such a unexpectedly great time watching a band for
the first time was back in '98 seeing Bauhaus or even further back in '91
seeing Nine Inch Nails at Lollapalooza.

Bruce Springsteen - LA Sports Arena (2nd night)
Really solid show, with the fun Halloween opening, "Tunnel of Love" and
"Kitty's Back." Much better performance especially from Clarence Clemons
than most of the previous Springsteen shows I've seen the past 8 years,
especially the plodding '02 Rising tour show I caught. Even though the
Sports Arena is a dank urine-soaked pit these days, the venue was much
better suited for Bruce than either Staples or the Forum.

Black Sabbath aka "Heaven and Hell" - Inglewood Forum
Not a big Black Sabbath fan but I have to say this show with Dio fronting
the band and early in their tour when they were playing a full set was
excellent. Surprisingly great sound with the band really playing well and
Dio still singing like it was the early 80's made this one a winner.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club / The Jesus and Mary Chain - Wiltern Theater
Probably a perfect double bill. For once, JMC put on a solid show with a
great setlist. In the past, usually frontman Jim Reid would be loaded or
pissed off or both and it would really hurt the performance but not this
time. Although BRMC's set was way too short for my taste, it was still
excellent and it's a shame this band (actually both bands) are so far under
the radar these days. Of course, I rarely see a bad show at The Wiltern no
matter who I'm seeing so the venue helps!

Honorable mentions:

ZZ Top - House of Blues, Hollywood
Been years since I've seen them, but a show at the small HoB was a big
drawing point and it turned out to be a great concert with a long set with
some unexpected old deep cuts.

The Cult - Anaheim in August, Hollywood in December
They alweays put on a strong, solid show. However, they new album isn't
very good and including 5 new songs in the Hollywood show made it kinda
boring.

T.B.