[kj] BPF - "THE LEAST GOOD DRUMMER THEY HAD"

Leigh Newton angrytomhanks at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 22:40:33 EST 2008

If we're talking about ability and technique and nothing else whatsoever, then pretty much yeah, he was the "worst" or "least best". Benny is by far the best as far as straight-up playing goes. He has fantastic technique, caveman-like stamina and he hits fucking hard. Grohl is a fantastic drummer as well, as is Parsons and Atkins.

HOWEVER....

Ability is such a small and, more often than not, the least important factor when it comes to playing interesting music in a great band. I've come across plenty of people who can play their instrument better than Jesus H Christ and still don't have one idea worth sharing. Big Paul started the freaking band with Jaz. His style helped form the sound of the band. No, he wasn't the best player, but he was and probably still is the best man for the job. He's the only drummer they've had who was a contributor just as much as Geordie, Jaz, Youth and Raven. Anyone else who's been in the band falls under the title "studio hack".

Leigh