[kj] Killing Joke and the U.S.

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 28 15:23:49 EST 2008

The US war against Iraq, which I have never supported -- and which led
to heated arguments within my own family because I was against it
during the 2002-2003 propaganda ramp-up into war which I saw happening
before my very eyes -- is illegal on a number of levels. For one, it
violates a treate of the United States, namely the UN, which says any
nation must get security council resolution before invading another
country. The US said, fuck the treaty we have made, we're going it
alone. This "fuck the UN' stance of Bush was hailed as a wonderful thing
by red state yahoos who want to kick ass and take names and ask
questions later -- if even then.

It was/is a war of aggression. A war of defense is one thing. It is one
thing to "preventively" invade another nation, as Bush said he was
doing. It wasn't that Iraq had done anything to the US, it was that it
might, hypothetically, at some possible date in the future. By that
logic, Iran can invade Mexico because, he, Mexico might threaten Iran at
some point -- you never know. This is another way of saying "We will
initiate a war of aggression," seen at the Nuremberg Trial and by the
Nuremeberg Principles as the worst War Crime.

I live in Texas, and in 2003 I was not a popular person for being
against the war then. My first and main opposition is the obvious one:
War is wrong. It is even more wrong when it is against a pretty weak and
pathetic country like Iraq, halfway across the planet, who pose zero
threat to the US. Thirdly, I never believed the shit about WMDs and all
this scare mongering shit that Condoleeza Rice began talking about at
her most hysterical about mushroom clouds over US cities unless we
invaded. Huge lies. No member of the Security Council has the right to
unilaterally enforce UN decisions; those actions must be approved by the
UN. In retrospect, most of the US population now wishes blue helmted UN
forces had gone, rather than the pathetic "coalition of the willing" the
US cobbled together, even though in late 2002/early 2003 the UN was spat
on by swaggering US yokels as being some namby pamby liberal globalist
organization that was probably controlled by Illuminati style Jewish
bankers or something.

-Oliver