[kj] 4.7.........What a beauty

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 12:29:33 EST 2008

I'd say have your home checked out but i think you're sitting on
really solid ground..structure...etc.

My family's home was built about 1898 or so and the seismic engineers reassured
my mom right after the '94 Northridge earthquake that the house and foundations were
structurally sound as a rock; totally ok. And they said it with a reassuring giggle too.
They said pretty much any house built back then will prolly never have issues with future quakes of comparable impact [6.8?].

Do you have a pool?

Michael Halsted <halsted at ilm.com> wrote:
I wasn't calling you out for the "blast" comment. (I took it
good old-fashioned sarcasm) I truly thought they we're fun
when I was young. A surprise amusement park ride. What really
creeps me out is that I live in a house that survived the 1906
earthquake...hoping it can keep it's good record.

...the swimming pool thing sounds disturbing...

sade1 wrote: Wow, rough ride, that one.
I agree, they're not fun; they are pretty fucqin' scary. I went thru the '88(i think) quake at around 8a.m. as i was getting into the shower. My calling them a blast is jsut a defensive reaction...
I take too much comfort in that things here in Al-Caliph'urniyah are built to withstand 'quakes but still, (I live in Mid-Wilshire area, btwn.Downtown and Hollywood) when i drove out to Northridge 2 days later after that quake and saw all my friends' houses split and cracked open like morning breakfast eggshells, it was very sobering. Anyone ever see a swimming pool cracked in half??

Michael Halsted <halsted at ilm.com> wrote:
Loma Prieta Earthquake. Was living in Los Gatos (a few miles from the epicenter)
at the time and wasn't working because I'd amputated the tip of my finger with a
paper cutter. Was off for a couple of months having to constantly hold my finger
above my heart so it could reattach. Since I wasn't working I didn't bother to
shower till the afternoon. Got a song idea in the shower, so I wrapped a towel
around my waist and went to my keyboard. A couple of seconds later it hit. I
don't think I've ever put on a pair of sweats so fast. All my equipment fell over,
everything in the kitchen destroyed, the fridge in the center of the kitchen, CD's
strewn everywhere. Cut the shit out of my feet running out of the apartment. When
I got to the bottom of the stairs outside it had stopped. Then started hearing about
the San Francisco Bay Bridge collapse from the neighbors. Luckily none of the beer
broke in the fridge...

Before then I used to think earthquakes were "fun" since I, though being a Bay Area
native, had really been through one that truly felt like the world was ending. I
don't think they are as fun.

sade1 wrote: Northridge, baybeeee. That was a blast; if it'd happened 10 minutes later i'd be dead. I'll never forget the fone call at dawn that saved my life.

"T.B." <Partyslammer at socal.rr.com> wrote:
"fluke fluke" wrote:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Bahh, you sissies. We got close to 5.0's a couple times a year at least
here in Southern CA. I've been through a few 6+ and a couple 7+ quakes.
Probably the scariest one was the Landers and Big Bear Quakes on the same
day in 1992 which was a 7.3 and 6.3 respectively and I was in the top floor
of a high rise hotel when they both happened.

T.B.

As the masters rot on walls
And the angels eat their grapes
I watched picasso