[kj] Chat/IRC

PRAEst76 praest76 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 04:46:08 EST 2008

On 25/02/2008, Lennonka <lennonka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cheers

> While I'm reading the complaints about the one-sentence messages,

No-one cares when I complain about trolling and massive overquoting
filling up my gmail. What's the fucking difference. Bunch of ignorant
hypocrits. I'm fairly sure there was a 60k message from Alex last
week.

> I'm thinking about founding an IRC channel for us.

> It's a question of few minutes to ask my friends and they would found the

> channel.

> What I wonder about - who would use an IRC channel?

> Myself, for sure. But who else?

I don't like chat rooms. i have a shell account with an IRC client
that runs all the time. It's easy to use and drop into.

Frankly I always advise setting up a chat room on IRC and using one of
the java IRC front-ends. Best of both worlds and all that.

> Cliff's chat is public domain now, and I praise his courage to have enabled

> that.

> But what? No-one is ever there. Why is it?

> We don't seem too busy for chatting : )

You also need to keep in mind that this is an international group.
different time-zones mean people come in at different times. The fact
that a lot of the users have been arund for years means they've
probably already become jaded by the fact that there is never anyone
in chat-rooms so why bother?

> I personally think that the server/chat at killing-joke.com is too

> unreliable and slow.

Yes. IRC is time-honoured and established. It's used by knowledgable
people to chat all over the world. Chat-rooms are used by
script-kiddies, muppets and paedophiles.

> So, the final question is - do we want an IRC channel?

We had one, no-one used it.

Feel free to try again but without an IRC front-end drawing in the
housewives and retired folk here it'll be dead most of the time. At
least then they might pop in for a minute to say "hi2 now and then and
leave before anyone else has a chance to respond.

--
PRAEst76
http://www.escapism.co.uk/praest76