[kj] [KJ] No Way Out But Forward Go...

fatpotanga fatpotanga at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 04:23:48 EST 2008

If they did them without the bigsby, I be more tempted.
I hate trems & have blocked them all up on the guitars I have with them.
Plus, the gold always looks a little too yellow for my liking as well
- they'd be much sexier with a vintage 'crackled' finish.
Still, sexy they still are.
I find guitars sexy.
Is that bad?
Should I have said that out loud..?
oh well, too late....

ANYWAY...

Monsieur Fluw posted a rather good thing regarding the 295's & their
copies a while back.
In fact I kept it.
Hidden in a box under the shed.
Back in 5...

Phew!
Here it is...

Once upon a time in the past I asked Todd what a real 295 plays like...
[dreamy harp sounds & screen blurs from present to past]

<<what do they actually play like?>> fat pot

the real es 295??
they play very nicely. all notes have a very rich ring with equal
tension and volume across all strings. hence the bells of horror and
grace!! one's picking hand attack becomes very natural and develops a
subtlety that is exquisit for rhythm approaches and dinosaur sized
funk and twang.

of course they have sustain for eons and likewise feedback more than
other guitars. hence the roar of tyrannausaurus rex sized bells
tumbling down on the village of infidels!!

if anyone is considering getting a knockoff, i.e., reissue gibson or
epiphone, let me caution, yes fatty pot, i have had one, or two,,,
'err both and ... they will not sound like geordie's!

the new ones are not constructed the same, with the gibsons -
fingerboard overlays are glued onto the top so the vibration and
response is different. with epiphone the dimensions are off, both on
the body and the headstock, causing different responses for both
tension and resonance. of course the all important missing feature is
the tailpiece which has a remarkable effect on the response, tone and
character of sound this guitar creates. however a gibson reissue with
an old or new old stock wrapover bridge tailpiece will pretty much
get the tone to satisfy most.

if you have a classical guitar, like the alvarez rc20sc :
http://www.guitarstop.com/Alvarez/RC20SC.htm

(got mine for 150 US)

then you have cheap beater that feels/responds very much like a 295
with high access for kings and queens, the wait, song and dance -
minus the punch of the arched-top.
in fact the 295 was designed as the first and still only, electric
spanish guitar, and that is basically how it plays. anyway with a
classical you can sit around the house playing geordie licks and be
very much in the neighborhood of walkerville. just add vodka!

the best blue collar option that i know of for one seeking the
electrified version of that roaring bell sound is acquiring
an early to mid 60's gibson es225cd. costing around 1,800 US, they
are built to the same dimensions as 50's es 295 and 175's. they have
p90's, yet have no aesthetic eccentricities like the more expensive
models. the only modification you would need is a wrapover tailpiece
instead of the standard fair. much better than shelling out 6 grand

you can purchase the tailpieces occasionally on ebay for around 100
US.

or go over the top like myself: i puchased a vintage tailpiece and
am using it as a model to remanufacture these tailpieces for some of
my own guitars and am making progress. thanks to a relative with a
machine shop.

viva le golden harp

[dreamy harp, blurs back to present]