[kj] Strange "controversy" a-brewing: Prada runway showin Milan plays Death in June's music

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 15 02:04:03 EST 2008

The huge irony is that Crisis, the very political late 70s/early 80s
punk band that contained future members of Death in June, are left-wing
as fuck. Their "Holocaust Hymns" complete discogaphy is almost nothing
short of phenomenal. The od thing is that it is almost Crass-like in its
militant leftism.

Death in June began with 3 members of Crisis who basically wanted to do
a Joy Division clone band a la Joy Division's "Ideal for Living" EP with
the kettle drum-pounding Aryan youth pic on the front. Within a couple
of years, no one was left in Death in June except Douglas P., and it's
basically been his solo project here and there, continuing with the
fascist imagery and themes and strumming away on his acoustic guitar in
his Waffen SS uniform about German wines and the glory days of Old Europe.

Crisis are very much worth checking out. Crisis, Crass, and The Clash
were for a short whil (1980?) considered THE political punk triumvirate
in England, according to someone I argued who worked with Crass Records
bands.

-Oliver