[kj] Thoughts on the remasters

culturevirus culturevirus at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 16:17:11 EST 2008

I hate typos and spelling errors and as a pro I'll bet you do too. Your first paragraph in the OTG review ends with "Cult The Crap". One of those that made it through the spell checker.

Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:
Should anyone truly give a fuck, I composed a needlessly lengthy
rumination on the remasters for my stupid weblog.

Find it here:

http://vassifer.blogs.com/alexinnyc/2008/02/re-telling-the.html

Please feel free to point out mistakes, inconsistencies, spelling
errors, etc.

Alex in NYC

On Feb 10, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Mark Kolmar wrote:

> As with the Manics' _The Holy Bible_, the best version probably would

> have included some of both the mixes. The combination of mixes would

> have added textural variety, in particular as a balance against the

> otherwise odd sound of "A Southern Sky" and "Victory" (latter not on

> vinyl). Each version has a different type of intensity that I cannot

> really judge as better or worse on the whole.

> The Kimsey mix of "Chessboards", as a prime example, brings out the

> rhythmic and harmonic counterpoint between the guitar and keyboards,

> and thus adds depth. The Kimsey mix of "Rubicon" brings a greater

> heft. But I feel "Adorations" loses some essential atmosphere, even

> if that same type of approach may sound syrupy as applied to other

> songs on the album.

> Restoration of the missing verse from "Love of the Masses" is most

> welcome addition that gives the track better proportion. (I am

> guessing that was originally edited for time on vinyl?)

> Also, this new, "restored mixes" version strikes me as a bit of

> revisionist history. That is not how the record sounded for the last

> 20 years, for good or bad. It might have been best to issue both sets

> of mixes on a double disc set, which also would have left room for the

> extant 12" mixes. Too bad the UK 12" version of "Sanity" did not make

> it.

> Having said all this, if I could only keep one edition, likely I would

> choose the new remaster with some reluctance.

> --Mark

> On Feb 4, 2008 5:48 PM, Alexander Smith

> wrote:

>> Conversely, the new mix of BTATS has given me a whole new

>> appreciation for

>> the record. If only they'd released it this way the first time

>> around. Much

>> cleaner, sharper, crisper....burlier. All the muddled studio syrup

>> was

>> excised. A huge improvement.

>> Alex in NYC

I am culturevirus