[kj] When Goths Cry...

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 11 07:06:08 EST 2008

Haha -- actually, I agree with you, ade.

Sturgeon's Law is that "90% is shit." This applies for anything, be it
death rock, goth, or horror punk. Personally, whatever you want to call
The Damned, I like their stuff up until about Strawberries; Siouxsie I
only like 'til 1979 or so; I like a LOT of UK Decay; I like about 20% of
the "Batcave" scene in the UK. I do love the '77 - '83 Misfits; the
Cramps; 45 Grave; 50% of Christian Death; all of The Super Heroines, and
all the many more obscure music nerd type stuff that's out there. But
still, 90% *is* shit.

Dinah cancer, singer of 45 Grave, says she has always considered herself
more a death rocker than a goth. To her I guess that means more like
aggressive punk rock, just with a menacing horror-sort of imagery and
focus. Not swirling atmospheric industrial or dance club shite that is
called "goth" now. But the guitar-driven stuff, where it wasn't uncommon
to see 45 Grave & TSOL on the same bill as Black Flag and the Minutemen.
Hard to imagine that sort of lineup today since what is usually referred
to as "goth" now is really just industrial night club music powered by
drum machines.

-Oliver