[kj] When Goths Cry...

T.B. Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 21:52:12 EST 2008

"Brendan Quinn" wrote:

APPARENTLY, loads of them over here have vitamin d deficiencies cos they are
nocturnal, not exactly ‘sporty’ or ‘outdoorsy’, or that often ‘awake’, and
if they ever see the sun it’s from the inside of a trenchcoat with gloves
and makeup and looking down and hat or 4 feet of hair…I’ve never really
studied Gothius Nocturnalis in the field, so can’t say what they are like…I
imagine not too many of them would get away with listening to a bit of
Jane’s Addiction on the side. Probably excommunicatible that one.

++++++++++++++

Speaking of goths, probably my funniest encounter with 'em was when I saw
Bauhaus during their first reunion tour back in '98 at The Hollywood
Palladium.

It was a absolutely sweltering night in mid August and I'd guess about 80%
of the 2,500 fans came dressed up looking like refugees either from The
Addams Family or looking like Gary Oldman as Dracula. I mean, it wasn't
just some eye liner, red lipstick and dyed black hair. It was full tilt
outfits and chalk white faces. And I looked about as out of place as
imaginable, wearing shorts, a tank top and my surfer tan.

Understand that at the time I wasn't any sort of fan of Bauhaus aside from a
few key songs and really went more out of curiosity (the show won me over
big time though). By about midway through their set, it was so hot in the
venue that all these gothoids' makeup was running like hot wax and everyone
was sweating and the overpowering smell of hairspray and makeup was
nauseating and it was really one of the weirdest things I've experienced at
a concert.

T.B.