[kj] OT: Other News

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Feb 7 23:37:30 EST 2008

Interesting…a Chinese philosopher of science caused a stir recently when he
suggested that the entire art of TCM (Traditional Chinese Therapy) verges on
a hoax…

My only experience with it was acupuncture to a seriously swollen
ankle…worked a bloody treat! I’m a bit dubious about all the eye of newt
stuff though. Ear candles, they cracked me up the first time I ever saw
them, but I’d give em a try.

In my ear I mean!

Culture clash

In April last year, Zhang Gongyao flew in the face of 5000 years of
tradition. In the Chinese journal Medicine and Philosophy, he argued that
traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) verges on a hoax, and called for it to be
removed from the public health system within five years. It touched a nerve,
sparking a fierce debate in the Chinese media and earning Zhang and his
backers a HYPERLINK
"http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-10/10/content_705409.htm"rebuke
from the health ministry.

TCM emphasises the balance and harmony of the human body. It takes a
holistic approach to treatment, which takes into account a person's symptoms
and characteristics. Central to its practice are concepts such as yin and
yang, primal and opposing forces within objects and processes, and the
spiritual energy known as qi, which is said to flow through channels in the
body, causing illness if blocked.

According to Zhang, a philosopher of science at the Central South University
in Changsha, Hunan province, traditional treatment is just superstition. But
TCM, which encompasses herbal remedies and acupuncture, has many adherents
who were swift to launch a counter-attack in print, on TV and online. Even
some of those who agree that its core concepts have no scientific basis
suggested that Zhang had gone too far in calling for its abolition. Others,
such as Fu Jinghua, a retired researcher with the China Academy of Chinese
Medical Sciences in Beijing, argued that TCM deals with Tao - the way and
order of the universe - and so cannot be evaluated scientifically.

That is just what the Chinese government now proposes to do, however. In
March it announced a plan, backed by 16 Chinese ministries, to spend more
than $130 million over the next five years on research into the
effectiveness of TCM. That seems reasonable, says Edzard Ernst of the
University of Exeter, UK, who studies complementary and alternative
medicine: "It's a matter of sorting the chaff from the grain." But as the
plan does not demand the gold standard of double-blind, randomised clinical
trials, some scientists fear that evidence-based TCM will remain an elusive
goal.

_____