[kj] Exorcism

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Tue Feb 5 17:27:11 EST 2008

I wish that was the case, that they were both built on peace, but it’s not.
Those ‘holy books’ are so contradictory that it’s just not logical to distil
them down to ‘books of peace.’ For every message about ‘turning the other
cheek’ there’s something like God drenching the earth for 40 days and nights
as punishment on the whole human race, or how ‘infidels’ need to be forcibly
converted to Islam or put to death. I could go on and on with examples from
both sides, but I’m sure everyone has had enough of that rhetoric rammed
down their throats for me not to have to labour the point. You can’t say
they are all about peace just because they include messages of peace,
because they also include some pretty psychopathic messages. This opening
quote from Chapter 2 of Richard Dawkins’ ‘The God Delusion’ (yes I know I
sound like I’m quoting scripture here ;), illustrates my point:

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in
all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control
freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic,
homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential,
megalomaniacal, sado-masochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Seeking your solace in a belief system that idolises that message is a bit
of a shame, to say the least.

I believe one of the signs of a truly intelligent mind is someone who
re-evaluates their values, honestly & perpetually. And an intelligent belief
system is one that does the same. Such as science…”a self-correcting method
of describing the universe as accurately as possible.” This ethic of
constant improvement or re-alignment with the facts (or the evidence as it
appears to us at the time, to be strictly accurate), is anathema to *most*
religious belief, certainly the main 3 judeo-christian / Abrahamist beliefs.

The fact that some people derive comfort and solace from Christianity is
possibly a good thing, I’m willing to accept that. But don’t you think there
are far more positive things to derive comfort from, such as the knowledge
that millions of scientists are as we speak working on things like vaccines
and cures for the physical and mental ailments that we need to seek comfort
from. Science has provided some real, tangible things that have made our
lives indescribably better, saved hundreds of millions of lives…the balance
sheet of the main 3 J-C religions is pretty far into the red in my opinion.
I agree with Lenn, it would be good if those beliefs were replaced with
something else. Something spiritual is fine by me, there’s plenty to revere
and worship in the natural world. And it’s real, it’s not a bunch of
manipulative confused lies that have been proven as such for centuries yet
are still clung to by the perpetuators because of the impossibility of
retracting statements made on behalf of an omnipotent being. Rational
thought doesn’t have that problem…and you can substitute ‘rational thought’
for every instance of the word ‘science’ in this email if you are of the
opinion that ‘science is a religion like any other’, which is one of the
lamest and most typical come-backs by the God brigade.

_____