[kj] The Fire Dances Remasters and Troy Gregory

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 14:21:19 EST 2008

Today is the day. I couldn't wait and had to get the releases on my lunch.......Which is a bit of a problem. All of the independent record stores have dropped like flies. So there is none near my work. And there is no way that I will cater to a Best Buy for my business. So 80+mph and 34 miles later I have them in my hand. I made it back to work with 4 minutes to spare.

In my car I blasted, I mean blasted FIre Dances. The only thing that I disliked about the original was the production. If you blast the vinyl it is fine. But as soon as you commit to tape or listen at "not neighbor complaining" levels it loses a lot. Not only has the remastered version surpassed the original I am hearing things I've never noticed. Then you get to the bonus tracks. Some have been available. But either way these are all great. They could stand alone.

The innards are thoughtful and nice. A bit tragic.

In the end stellar.

And that brings me to last Saturday. I've met Troy Gregory quite a few times but my recent love is close friends with him and we see him at the bar. He is not wasted but he is drunk. Troy is odd. Not rock 'n' roll fried. Just odd. He'll make obscure references and you have to be on your toes to catch them. It doesn't take long to get him on Killing Joke (actually I think someone else did) but he said it was a blast and trying all at the same time. Jaz (no surprise) was a real wild card. Geordie is exactly what you'd expect. Laid back and rolls with anything. So he was hired on and he did not know any of Democracy. And he actually tried to get them to do some Fire Dances (I guess this is Troy's favorite one) and they'd have nothing of it. He also asked about doing Eighties and I guess Jaz exploded and said something to the effect of not living in the 80s (even though they played it on the Pandemonium tour). He had more to say but eh

On to Night Time

Chris